Tuesday, August 4, 2009

How To Get A Work Study

You have gotten past the messy part, the paperwork, and you've been told you qualify for work study! You can make money, gain experience, and even study while getting paid! Woohoo! But, you cannot do any of that until you are contacted and asked to come in for an interview meaning that even though you qualify, you may not necessarily get a job on campus right away. It's not impossible, but quite easy!

What I did:

Before my first semester started, I contacted the head of the History Department and told him that I was an incoming freshman who qualified for work study. I asked if there was a position open for a work study in the office and if there was, I would greatly appreciate being contacted. That email was then forwarded to the secretary who contacted me soon after.

Luckily, I was contacted by another work study, which gave me the option between working in the History Department or working in the Office of General Counsel. I chose the latter due to my interest in Law School, but the point is I had options because I looked for them.

How You Can Get One:

Not everyone gets called in for an interview right off the bat and I know people who qualify for work study, but do not actually have one. Email the departments that your major and minor are affiliated with. Look for other offices on your school's website that you would like to work in and ask if they have any open work study positions. If you email enough people, you will definitely get a response from someone.

In your interview, allow your personality to shine through and talk about your skills and previous experience, without sounding overconfident. Apply everywhere! If you try, you will succeed. Cheesy, but true. :)

Good luck and feel free to comment and ask questions!

No comments:

Post a Comment